Tennis ref accused of husband's murder knew 'justice would be served' after charges dropped








The tennis ref, once accused of murder, said she always knew “justice would be served” and now plans to get back to court -- the one with nets, not prosecutors.

Lois Goodman, 70, told ABC’s “Good Morning America” that she’s delighted Los Angeles prosecutors dropped their murder case against her, in connection to the death of husband Alan Goodman, 80, in April at their California home.

Watch More News Videos at ABC | 2012 Presidential Election



She was arrested on Aug. 21 in New York, when she arrived in town to work as a line judge at the US Open.

"I was so happy. Elated. I can't tell you," Goodman said. "It came earlier than I thought it would, but I always knew, somehow, justice would be served, and my name would be cleared."

Goodman has steadfastly maintained her innocence. A judge threw out the case on Friday at the behest of prosecutors. Her defense lawyer Robert Sheahen thanked the Los Angeles DA.

"The prosecutors did a great thing here," he said. "DAs don't stand up to the police department. They don't dismiss these cases. For these prosecutors to dismiss this case, they did a good thing.

"They dismissed it; more power to them. I give them all of the professional credit in the world. It got out of hand. The prosecutors corrected it."

Cops busted Goodman, accusing her bludgeoning Alan Goodman with a coffee mug and then stabbing him with the broken pieces.

The tennis ref theorized her husband suffered a horrible fall and then crawled back into bed.

"I wasn't there. Poor thing … I beat myself up all the time,” she said. “If I had been at home, I could have helped him. But I wasn't. It's just hard for me to realize that he's gone, I miss him.”

The grandmother said she wants to return to the game she loves.

"I want to go back to work," Goodman said. "I miss my friends and being on the court, and my friends said, 'I've already got you booked on four tournaments that I'm running, so clear your calendar.' "

Not surprisingly, Goodman said she relishes her time in sunshine and open air, after 24 terrible hours locked up at Rikers Island following her New York arrest.

"[Rikers] was horrible," she said. "Dark and dingy, and it was depressing. Terrible, in the cell for 23 hours out of 24. [It was] hard, I couldn't believe it."












You're reading an article about
Tennis ref accused of husband's murder knew 'justice would be served' after charges dropped
This article
Tennis ref accused of husband's murder knew 'justice would be served' after charges dropped
can be opened in url
http://newssubtracted.blogspot.com/2012/12/tennis-ref-accused-of-husband-murder.html
Tennis ref accused of husband's murder knew 'justice would be served' after charges dropped